TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is CATAN – Console Edition?
- When will CATAN – Console Edition be released?
- What additional content is included in CATAN – Console Edition: Deluxe?
- How much does CATAN - Console Edition cost?
- Where can I purchase CATAN – Console Edition?
- What edition/version of CATAN is this?
- What platforms is the game coming to?
- Who are developing the game?
- Will there be downloadable content after release?
- Does CATAN – Console Edition have microtransactions?
- Will there be a physical release of CATAN: Console Edition?
- What post-release content is planned?
- How can I learn how to play the game?
- What is Quick Play?
- How do I manually place the starting settlements and roads?
- How do I configure a custom game?
- What does the “Variable Setup” option do?
- What does the “Combine build and trade phase” option do?
- What is Second Screen?
- How do I enable the second screen?
- How do I resume a game in progress?
- How do I disable the top-down camera?
- How do I disable trading offers?
- How do I unlock new in-game items?
- What are Mastery Challenges?
- How do I sign up for a Dovetail Live account?
- How do I log into Dovetail Live to complete Mastery Challenges?
- How many players can join a game?
- Can I join an online game with local guests?
- Is a subscription required to play multiplayer online?
- Does CATAN – Console Edition have cross play?
- Will online multiplayer have skill-based matchmaking?
- How do I play a public online game?
- How do I join my friends’ game?
- How do I play a local multiplayer game? (Single Controller)
- How do I play local multiplayer (Multiple Controllers)?
- How do I earn achievements as a secondary local player?
- Social Links
What is CATAN – Console Edition?
CATAN – Console Edition is the official video game of CATAN on console and has the following features:
- Highly detailed board with 3D tiles, NPCs that walk around, and animals on the fields.
- Online multiplayer, including matchmaking, private games and cross play across PlayStation and Xbox platforms.
- Local play. You’ll be able to connect your phone to the game to track your resources, so you can play locally and hide your cards from your friends.
- Solo mode, where you can play against smart and dynamic AI that each have their own play style and goals.
- The game will also have challenges for you to unlock cosmetic rewards in game.
When will CATAN – Console Edition be released?
CATAN – Console Edition: Standard & Deluxe is available now on both PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch.
What additional content is included in CATAN – Console Edition: Deluxe?
CATAN – Console Edition: Deluxe includes everything included with the Standard edition of the game PLUS a custom Dice Skin and Hex Frame, five CATAN World Championship board layouts taken from five previous CATAN World Championship events (playable in both single and multiplayer modes).
How much does CATAN - Console Edition cost?
CATAN - Console Edition
CATAN – Console Edition: Deluxe
Where can I purchase CATAN – Console Edition?
CATAN - Console Edition & Deluxe is available now on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Store.
- CATAN - Console Edition on PlayStation
- CATAN - Console Edition on Xbox
- CATAN - Console Edition - Nintendo Switch eShop
What edition/version of CATAN is this?
This is the base game version, where up to 4 people can play.
What platforms is the game coming to?
- PlayStation 4
- PlayStation 5
- Xbox One
- Xbox Series S|X
- Nintendo Switch
Who are developing the game?
The game is being developed by Nomad Games in collaboration with Dovetail Games.
Will there be downloadable content after release?
A roadmap will be published on the CATAN – Console Edition website, detailing our plans for future content.
Does CATAN – Console Edition have microtransactions?
No, the game does not contain microtransactions.
Will there be a physical release of CATAN: Console Edition?
Yes, CATAN: Console Edition is now available as a physical release in the UK & Europe on PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch. CATAN: Console Edition will be launching physically in North America for PS5 and Nintendo Switch on March 5th 2024. There will be no physical release on Xbox platforms.
What post-release content is planned?
The following content will be available to purchase individually or as included in the Season Pass.
- The Helpers Expansion - Out Now
- Reap & Sow: Fall Content Pack - Out Now
- Ice & Snow Winter Content Pack
- Bloom & Grow Spring Content Pack
- Cities & Knights Expansion
How can I learn how to play the game?
The best place to start is the built-in video introductions. You can access them by going to Play > Local Game > Learn to Play. Next, there is a set of interactive tutorials in the same location. Lastly, there is the Almanac, allowing you to review the game rules at your own pace. For when you are not playing, we have prepared the following support articles to help you familiarise yourself with the game.
What is Quick Play?
Get straight into the action with a combination of local players and AI, up to a total of four players. Your initial Settlements and Roads are pre-determined, and the game always takes place on the default board layout.
How do I manually place the starting settlements and roads?
Enable the "Variable Setup" option under Play > Local Game > Configure Game.
How do I configure a custom game?
Go to Play > Local Game > Configure Game.
What does the “Variable Setup” option do?
The variable setup option will randomise the board layout and allow you to place your own starting settlements and roads.
What does the “Combine build and trade phase” option do?
By default, this option will be enabled, combining the building and trading phase of each turn into one. Therefore, the player will only be asked once to end their turn. When disabling this option, each player’s turn will be split into a trading phase, followed by a building phase. The player is required to confirm when they are done with each phase.
What is Second Screen?
Second screen will enable you to privately view your development cards & resources from your smartphone. Best used in a local multiplayer session where you don’t want to let everyone see your hand. (Your console and mobile device must have a stable internet connection to use this feature.)
How do I enable the second screen?
First, you will need to ensure that second screen is enabled before you start a new game by going to Play > Local Game > Configure Game > Next > Enable Second screen.
- Pause the game and select Second Screen.
- Scan theQR code with your smartphone and follow the link.
- Tap to select your player.
- Now you can privately view your development cards & resources.
If you accidently close the second screen or forget to scan the QR code, you scan the QR code again from the pause menu.
How do I resume a game in progress?
If you happen to return to the main menu or quit the game, you can come back later and continue that game by selecting Play > Local Game > Quick Play, then choosing to resume a saved game when prompted.
How do I disable the top-down camera?
Pause the game and toggle the “disable top-down selection camera” option.
How do I disable trading offers?
Click in the right analogue stick to disable incoming trading offers. You will still be able to trade with other players when you choose to.
How do I unlock new in-game items?
By completing Mastery Challenges in CATAN - Console Edition, you can unlock new characters, frames and dice.
What are Mastery Challenges?
By signing up for a Dovetail Live account, you can complete challenges (e.g. "Play a game in public multiplayer") which will unlock an in-game reward such as a new character (e.g. "Harbour Master").
How do I sign up for a Dovetail Live account?
You can sign up for a Dovetail Live account by going to Profile > Register. Please note that you must be over 16 years old to register for an account. Therefore, this cannot be done with a "child" account. You will also need to have an active Xbox Live/PlayStation Plus/Nintendo Online subscription to access Dovetail Live.
Please remember to verify your account by checking your emails within 12 hours of signing up.
How do I log into Dovetail Live to complete Mastery Challenges?
- Open CATAN
- Go to Profile > Sign In
- Enter your full email address and password (Do not leave any blank spaces)
- When you have sucessfully signed in you can choose to check on your Mastery Progress or read the latest News & Articles.
How many players can join a game?
Up to four players can join a local or online game.
Can I join an online game with local guests?
No, only one player per console can join an online game.
Is a subscription required to play multiplayer online?
A PlayStation Plus or Xbox Game Pass subscription will be required to play online.
Does CATAN – Console Edition have cross play?
Yes, you can play online with players across PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch. You will need to enable Cross-Play in the Settings menu on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch.
Will online multiplayer have skill-based matchmaking?
Our online multiplayer system will have a ranking system, so you will be matched with players of a similar skill level.
How do I play a public online game?
Go to Play > Online Multiplayer > Join Public Queue.
How do I join my friends’ game?
- Go to Play > Online Multiplayer > Join/Create Private Game.
- Enter the room name your friend provided you with.
How do I play a local multiplayer game? (Single Controller)
- Turn on your console and open CATAN with one controller connected.
- Go to Play > Local Game > Configure Game.
- Select each character and change the name to a numbered variant of your Gamertag. (For Example: Test_User, Test_User (1), Test_User (2) etc...)
- Press Next, and set up the game options.
- Start the game and pass the controller when it is another player's turn.
How do I play local multiplayer (Multiple Controllers)?
- Open CATAN with one controller connected.
- Press the LT/L2 on the controller you wish to add.
- Then add the player as a Guest or sign them into their account.
- Go to Play > Local Game > Configure Game.
- Select each character and change the first item to the corresponding account name. (Guests will appear as User, User(1), User(2) etc...)
- Now, you can start the game and each player will take their turn using their own controller.
How do I earn achievements as a secondary local player?
On the main menu, press the LT/L2 button on the controller you wish to add and sign in other players with their own account. Please note that additional players are not required to sign in, but they won’t be able to earn achievements on their own account unless they are.
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gaming/DTGBoardgames
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/DTGBoardgames
- Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/dtgboardgames/
- Discord - https://discord.gg/kR8VssAvZ4
- TikTok - https://www.tiktok.com/@dtgboardgames
- YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnYibF4frrb8FpKWXZWIi_g
- Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/dtgboardgames