A common problems for many Windows users is the presence of multiple/incomplete graphics card drivers. This can occur but is not limited to when you have changed the brand of graphics card you are using during your computers lifetime (e.g. AMD to Nvidia), installed the wrong driver, or interrupted a driver installation. Furthermore, this can lead to crashes and performance issues which may appear as hardware/software faults.
Often it is not enough to uninstall/reinstall/update your drivers to resolve the problem, as this can leave behind files, folders and register entries. Therefore, it may be necessary to thoroughly remove your drivers with a specialised app called Display Driver Uninstaller.
- Firstly, we will need to download the latest WHQL approved driver for your graphics card, while being sure not to download drivers marked as "beta/optional". Please make sure you are confident that you are downloading the correct driver for your brand and model of graphics card. Both websites provide an automated option, if you are unsure of which model you are using.
- Save the driver to your desktop and we will come back to this later.
- Next, we need to download Display Driver Uninstaller which is a free, third-party app which is used to completely remove all traces of graphics card drivers on your computer.
- Download Display Driver Uninstaller: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
- Please fully read the instructions and license agreement before use.
- Open the download and extract the files to a folder on your desktop.
- Follow the instructions provided for either Nvidia or AMD depending on your brand of graphics card. You may need to run the tool multiple times if you have used or accidently installed drivers for both brands in the past.
- DDU AMD Support Thread: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/display-driver-uninstaller-thread.379505/
- DDU Nvidia Support Thread: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/display-driver-uninstaller-thread.379506/
- How to restart Windows 10 in Safe Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234
- Once you have successfully removed all traces of previous graphics card drivers and have restarted Windows in normal mode, we can install the latest graphics card driver which we left on the desktop earlier.
- Do not interrupt the installation process and then restart you computer once it has been completed.